I’m attending the Hive Conference in Berlin next month. They’ve started 40 Facts for the Hive (#40facts4thehive) and I’ve decided to join in. So below you’ll find 40 things about me. It’s the first time I’ve ever written something like this; so please be kind… 40 is a lot!
1. I used to say I’d never ever get married.
I celebrated my 5th wedding anniversary last November.
2. I said I’d never give up my career.
I’ve not worked a 9-5 job for 5 years.
3. I used to swear I’d never have kids.
I’m a mother to a gorgeous 17 month old.
4. I used to say I’d never live in a city smaller or colder than Canberra.
Lausanne is both colder and smaller. I’ve loved it here.
5.I almost didn’t date my now husband because he told me he had no desire to travel internationally. I was saving and preparing for a one way ticket to Europe.
6. I now try to never say never.
7. I’m happier than I ever imagined possible. My husband keeps asking me to say “I’ll never win lotto”.
8. I regret not learning to speak French fluently whilst here. If I had my time over I’d have tried a little harder to break out of the expat bubble so that my conversation improved. I think I’ll take lessons in California.
9. I took a cake decorating class at 16 to help allay boredom. I had a year off from school due to having both knees operated on for a hereditary problem and towards the end both my mother and I were going crazy.
17. The class was full of Nannas gossiping, I learned almost nothing (except that June’s nephew was dating a girl she disapproved of, and that Olive’s husband snored). So I went to a cake decorating supply store, bought some books and taught myself. This was well before it was cool.
18. I made loads of cakes for friends and family in my spare time (ie. at midnight or later after a huge day at work). It stopped being fun and I eventually moved where no-one knew I could bake, didn’t tell anyone and stopped making them. Until I moved to Lausanne and made a baby shower cake, and then a little mouse cake, and then birthday cakes for Munchkin. Oh and a carousel cake for one of Munchkin’s friends. It’s fun again.
19. I named my daughter after a Georgette Heyer heroine. Though we spelled it differently.
20. I love the Princess Bride; the book more than the movie.