My gluten free pistachio, almond, rose water and lemon drizzle cake for today’s Lausannoise cake society meeting.
I tweaked this recipe to make the cake shown above.
The cake turned out a complete success! It did take a bit longer to cook (about 55 minutes) but was still fabulously moist and delicious. It was a hit at the inaugural Lausannois cake society meeting and I thoroughly recommend this recipe.
- 100g Schaer Mix Pâtisserie – Mix C
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150g pistachio kernels, ground
- 150g almond meal
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten, plus 1 eggwhite
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 100g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1 tsp rosewater, plus a few extra drops
- 250g pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 25g of chopped pistachios for decoration
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Grease and line the base of a 23cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the pistachio and almond. Place sugar and whole eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 4-5 minutes until thick and pale. Beat in olive oil, zest, butter and rosewater, then fold in the flour mixture. Spread into pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool slightly, then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
When the cake is cool, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add lemon juice and enough warm water to make a smooth dropping consistency. Stir in a few drops of rosewater to taste. Pour the icing over the cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Garnish with chopped pistachios.